Palaces - Tripura

The former Maharajas had constructed beautiful palaces in different locations of the state . These palaces provide a glimpse of the royal past of this erstwhile princely state. Ujjayanta Palace at Agartala

This modern edifice of the royal house of Tripura is located in the heart of the capital town, within an area of half Sq.Km. Ujjayanta Palace is a two storied mansion, having a mixed type of architecture with three high domes, the central one being 86’ high. The magnificent tile floor, curved wooden ceiling and beautifully crafted doors are particularly notable. It was built during 1899-1901 by Maharaja Radha Kishore Manikya. It has well laid garden parks all around and two large tanks on either side of the palace leading to the main building. The water courses and fountains are laid in the pattern of Mughal garden. Flood lighting has enhanced the majesty of this spectacular edifice. A musical fountain is being installed in the gardens.

Kunjaban Palace

A green hillock known as Kunjaban ( a bower) for its scenic beauty stands to the north of Ujjayanta palace at a distance of about 1 Km. Maharaja Birendra Kishore Manikya (1909-1923) selected this beautiful place for building a suburban palace for retreat and constructed a palace in 1917 which was named as Pushbanta Palace. The Maharaja himself being gifted artist is said to have drawn the plan of the palace and its adjoining garden.

Poet Rabindranath Tagore stayed in the eastern apartment of this palace during his 7th and last visit to the state in 1926. This palace was the mute witness to many of the great poet's creations including a number of popular songs. There are well laid gardens and lawns inside the palace which is the official residence of the Governor of Tripura now. The southern side of the garden has been made open for the public and has been named as Rabindra Kanan.

Malancha Niwas

The Bungalow adjacent to Kunjaban palace situated on a hillock was originally a kaccha house where Tagore stayed during his visit in 1919. The pucca construction was subsequently built and given the name of Malancha Niwas.

Neermahal

Neer Palace

It is about 55 Km. away from Agartala. This palace was constructed as a summer resort in 1930 by late Maharaja Birbikram Kishore Manikya Bahadur in the middle of a natural lake called Rudrasagar having an area of 5.35 Sq.Km. The construction was undertaken by Martin & Burn Co. and it is the only lake palace in the entire eastern India.

A good combination of Hindu and Mughal architecture is noticed on the domes of the palace. There are mainly two parts of the palace - one on the western side known as Andar Mahal which was used by the royal family and another on the eastern side which was used for the security personnel and servants. There are 15 rooms in the main Andar Mahal. There is a beautiful garden laid in the western side of the palace. In the garden there is an open stage where drama, theatre, etc. use to be organised.

Maharajas used to go by motor boat to the palace from Rajghat. There is a motor boat ghat inside the palace upto which the motor boat could go and there are two ,stairs at the motor boat ghat - one for Maharaja and one for Maharani.

Flood lighting of the palace has been arranged in the evening. In addition, water sports facilities are being extended. The palace is going to be renovated and a museum depicting the royal life style will be set up inside the palace. In addition Light & Sound show on the historical past and cultural heritage of Tripura will be organised in the palace. There is a tourist lodge managed by state government named Sagar Mahal on the bank of Rudrasagar lake where tourists can comfortably stay.

Tripura