News U.S. To Extend Job Authorization To Spouses Of H-1B Workers   Email this page
Print this page

BANGALORE: As part of its efforts to attract and retain highly skilled immigrants from countries like India, the Obama lead administration is looking to adjust the county’s immigration system, which plans to bring in the rule to extend employment authorization to spouses of certain H-1B workers, as reported by Lalit K Jha of OUTLOOK.
To add on to this, the Department of Homeland Security said that, together these actions would help attract new businesses and new investment to the U.S. and ensure that the country has the most skilled workforce in the world.

"The proposals announced will encourage highly skilled, specially trained individuals to remain in the United States and continue to support U.S. businesses and the growth of the U.S. economy," said Alejandro Mayorkas, Deputy Secretary of Homeland Security.

Mayorkas further added, "A concurrent goal is for the U.S. to maintain competitiveness with other countries that attract skilled foreign workers and offer employment authorization for spouses of skilled workers. American businesses continue to need skilled non-immigrant and immigrant workers.""These two proposed rule changes are an integral part of the Administration's efforts to strengthen entrepreneurship and innovation, and to help the U.S. attract and retain highly skilled immigrants," said Penny Pritzker, U.S. Secretary of Commerce.

Penny further added, “The fact is, we must do more to retain and attract world-class talent to the U.S. and these regulations put us on a path to doing that. These actions promise to unleash more of the extraordinary contributions that immigrants have always made to America's innovation economy."

If you take a sneak peak at the present U.S. immigration system the existing regulations does not provide employment authorization to dependents of H-1B non-immigrant workers. However, the proposed new rules would grant work authorization only to spouses of H-1B visa holders who have taken the first step to apply for permanent-resident green cards. In fact, the H-1B work visas for highly skilled professionals is said to be the most beneficial among the IT sector professionals from India.

Home About Us Jobs Comments Contact Us Advertise Terms of Service Privacy Policy
Copyright © 1995-2016, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
INDOlink, Planet Bollywood, "Best of Both Worlds", "Linking Indians Worldwide" are trademarks of, Inc.