BANGALORE: A short circuit could have caused the fire in the AC coach of Bangalore-Nanded Express that has left 23 people dead, Railway Minister Mallikarjun Kharge today said, citing preliminary reports.
The AC coach had 67 passengers on board, of which 23 were trapped in the fire while others managed to alight as the attendant noticed smoke and the train was stopped, he told PTI.
Quoting preliminary reports from Railway officials present at the spot, Kharge said, “Short circuit could have caused the fire” but the inquiry would reveal the exact cause.
He said an inquiry would be conducted by a panel which would also have other senior officials including Member (Electrical).
Kharge said a compensation of Rs 5 lakh each would be given to the next of kin of the deceased and Rs one lakh to the grievously injured and Rs 50,000 to others injured.
Medical expenses would be borne by the Railways.
He said the bodies would be brought to Bangalore.–PTI